We all know that business is not easy. Especially if you started everything from scratch and with minimum resources. There are tons of ways nowadays to easily increase your network which in parallel increases your "net worth". No one should expect to do business on their own and as one of our favorite quotes states " You need to be at the right place, at the right time with the right people".
Building your network can be done relatively easily, on a daily business. The key to most goals is....CONSISTENCY!
Make it habit to build and increase your network. And hey! It should become 2nd nature to you over time!
My sister and I moved to New York four years ago with .....NOTHING! Not a friend, a family member or any connection to help us out. With a few saved up dollars, we only had one another, our determination and courage to push us to build...Build & BUILD!
And now, we are well on our way to build...AN EMPIRE!
Here are a few simple tips for you to start building YOUR EMPIRE! :)
- Make it a point to attend few events a week/months where you can expand your network and meet people who can help you grow your business or who are related to your business/field.
- Never hesitate to start a conversation. Be inviting, smile and have an open-minded aura, which will also entice others to approach you.
- When conversing with others, be genuine about getting to know them. Ask them questions about themselves, listen carefully and engage into the conversation. Make sure to make eye contact, this always leaves a lasting impression to the person you are talking to.
- Always introduce your services, your business assertively and humbly but confidently.
- Make sure to always carry your business cards with you, AT ALL TIMES. You never know who can meet or run into, therefore you must always be ready and prepared!
- You don't have to spend too much time with each person. In fact, if you are totally dedicated to the person you are conversing with, only a few minutes can be efficient. Manage your time wisely...you do want to meet as many people as possible, without rushing things, of course.
- Always collect business cards and give out yours. The more business cards you come home with, the more you can add to your Rolodex!
- Always follow-up. Send a courtesy email, a reminder of who you are and what you do and make it a point for them to keep you in the loop and vice versa.
- Do your homework. Always research the person you are meeting with and find as much information about them as possible. Not only will you have more specific questions to ask but you will score points for taking the time to look into their business and their background ( without acting like a stalker!). Be sincere in wanting to build a lasting relationship.
- Keep all business cards stored but make sure to transfer all info onto your phone (clearly categorized), and connect with the person on social networks such as Facebook and/or Linkedin ( or others). Never take a contact lightly. A person might not be directly connected to your business but it does not mean their entourage is not. It is a number's game, the more contacts you collect, the more chances for you of growing your direct network.
- Never judge someone by their appearance. We've met some very powerful people who did not look like anyone at the time of the meeting. Follow your instincts but always remain polite and respectful to everyone.
- Never hesitate to ask your contacts for help and advice. It's humans' nature to feel empowered when we help. It never hurts to ask...the worst answer you can get is a NO....and if you are in business, you must know that it's not the end of the world. You don't ask, You don't receive!
- Be involved in charity events, volunteering and community services. We are all very busy but any help is help and can make a difference. It is great to surround yourself with people who are giving, kind-hearted and helpful. You will only attract more of it in return.
- Never eat alone. When busy, a lot of people forget to eat or skip a meal. Instead of rushing or skipping food ( which is very unhealthy), make it a point to schedule lunch, dinner, brunch or breakfast with someone you have lost touch with, someone you need to catch up with, or a contact you'd like to do business with. It doesn't have to be time consuming- even if it's just 15 minutes! A human contact is always more impactful than a text, an email or a phone call. In other words, make maximum use of your time. Don't we all have to eat?
-Take a least a day every month to just make phone calls and reconnect with everyone in your network. Ask for news and updates and take the occasion to also inform that person of your projects, advancements and news. Everyone appreciates a phone call. It is much more personal and it strengthens relationships. Nowadays, with all the technology available, it makes it easy for people to be lazy and to assume that their relationships are strong. Nothing beats a phone call besides a physical meeting.
- Be a connector. Think about all the people in your circle and see who can benefit from one another. By helping other grow their network, you are helping yourself as well. People are always appreciative of the person who connected them to another important person. This will encourage the people around you to do the same for you. Be a generous connector and by doing so, you just put yourself on top of others' list as a key person.
- Make yourself a list of people who you can identify as either advisers and/or mentors. Try to list all areas of your business ( e.i: Marketing, PR, accounting, legal aspect, etc) and make it a point to have a mentor/ adviser for all areas. This way, when a problem arises, you can quickly go to your "board of advisers" and see who is the most qualified person to advise you on the matter. It's all about preparation.
- Don't be afraid to share your passions and to talk about what you would like to accomplish. The more people know about your goals, the more you will attract the right people to help you. The universe works in miraculous ways, so do put your dreams out there and send out the right vibes TODAY. The laws of attraction.
To build your network is to build your net worth!!!
Hopefully, this will help many of you in building your empire. These are only a few simple tips that can easily be incorporated in your daily routine. Remember, have the right mind set! :)
Do you have any networking tips you'd like to share with all of us?
Don't forget to follow us!
Subscribe to our new channel: SACHIKATWINS